Common App Essay Freewrite #1 (15 minutes)
ELAGSE11-12RL1 Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.
ELAGSE11-12RL3 Analyze the impact of the author’s choices regarding how to develop and relate elements of a story or drama (e.g., where a story is set, how the action is ordered, how the characters are introduced and developed).
ELAGSE11-12RL4 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone, including words with multiple meanings or language that is particularly fresh, engaging, or beautiful. (Include Shakespeare as well as other authors.)
ELAGSE11-12RL5 Analyze how an author’s choices concerning how to structure specific parts of a text (e.g., the choice of where to begin or end a story, the choice to provide a comedic or tragic resolution) contribute to its overall structure and meaning as well as its aesthetic impact.
- What tools can we use to understand texts?
- Discussion: "For Julia" (15 minutes)
- Asher, "The Boxman"
- Work independently to understand the text (15 minutes)
- Work with group to clarify understandings (10 minutes)
- Create Analysis Visualization (25 minutes).
- Prepare to Present Out (5 minutes)
- We will begin class tomorrow with your discussion