Sentence Pattern #1
ELAGSE11-12RI1 Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.
ELAGSE11-12RI2 Determine two or more central ideas of a text and analyze their development over the course of the text, including how they interact and build on one another to provide a complex analysis; provide an objective summary of the text.
ELAGSE11-12RI6 Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text in which the rhetoric is particularly effective, analyzing how style and content contribute to the power, persuasiveness, or beauty of the text.
ELAGSE11-12SL4 Present information, findings, and supporting evidence, conveying a clear and distinct perspective, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning, alternative or opposing perspectives are addressed, and the organization, development, substance, and style are appropriate to purpose, audience, and a range of formal and informal tasks.
ELAGSE11-12SL5 Make strategic use of digital media (e.g., textual, graphical, audio,visual, and interactive elements) in presentations to enhance understanding of findings, reasoning, and evidence and to add interest.
- How do authors use rhetorical strategies to add power to their arguments?
- What can Taylor Swift teach me about making arguments?
- Pop Song Rhetorical Analysis Project
- Watch Brewer's attempt at music video analysis
- Discuss Project
- Meet with group to begin analysis
- Step 1: Form group, choose song, submit song to Form
- Step 2: Analyze & Annotate lyrics
- Step 3: write script
- Finish Common App Essay Draft