Voice Lessons: Syntax Lesson #2
ELAGSE11-12RI5 Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of the structure an author uses in his or her exposition or argument, including whether the structure makes points clear, convincing, and engaging.
ELAGSE11-12RI6 Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text in which the rhetoric is particularly effective, analyzing how style and content contribute to the power, persuasiveness, or beauty of the text.
ELAGSE11-12W5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach, focusing on addressing what is most significant for a specific purpose and audience.
- What are the qualities of an effective AP Argument Essay?
- How can peer revision help make me a stronger writer?
- Review Argument Rubric and AP Rubric
- AP Exemplar Analysis (30 minutes)
- Go to Assigned Group
- Read Exemplar Essays individually
- Assign Marks to Exemplar Essays
- Discuss Marks and reasoning within group
- Student Essay Blind Marking (60 Minutes)
- Read each student essay individually
- Using the CORRECTED Marks for your Exemplar Essays, give each essay a Predicted Mark
- Discuss Marks and reasoning within Group, attempt to reach consensus
- Write a brief Global Comment on each essay (identify at least one overall strength and one weakness)
- Finish Reading Gatsby Ch. 1-3 (QUIZ TOMORROW)
- Blog Due, 3/26
- Gatsby Project Due 4/12